Ahhh, Barn Quilts…. You probably saw on Saturday my weekend whims post was about some really cool Barn Quilts that I had found. today is about the Barn Quilt I made… Ok, I didn’t actually make a barn Quilt, but a quilt inspired by a Barn Quilt.
I’m not a very traditional quilter and as I was looking at all the Barn Quilt photos online I was drawn to the fact that the overall majority of them are based on very traditional quilt patterns. I thought to myself that maybe this week, I wouldn’t think outside the box so much, but experiment with a traditional pattern. Then I remembered this book that my husband brought home from a yard sale one day after I started my quilting obsession. It was sweet and I kept it, but at the same time wondered why… I’m never going to make one of these quilts…. Well, I’m glad I did keep it!
I found this circle pattern that I love. Each week I keep telling myself I’m going to make a quick and easy mini quilt. And for some reason this pattern seemed to be the way to a quick and easy one this week. UM. No. Not quite sure why I thought that… Once I got into and realized I again, hadn’t made it easy on myself and was lamenting this with my husband. He even agreed and was like, ‘uh, yeah, it didn’t look easy to me!’ hmmmmm…..
So I’ve got my pattern picked out. now to choose the fabrics…. Again, I have this issue of always making things more complicated! I decided to make the middle pieces a ombre selection of fabrics, which meant dying my own fabric…
I pieced it all together and, yep, doing the circle pieces was harder than I thought… The very last piece I did was the middle, appliqued circle. First off I did it in red…. I liked it, but there was something still not setting well with the red… Then my husband agreed. We couldn’t put our finger on it, but there was just something about the red that we weren’t loving!
So I changed the middle circle to the green and, wahla, I love it!
This is the first Project Quilting quilt that I have done anything sepcial to the back. I guess I’ve been seeing these as more of wall hangings and haven’t put thought into the backs, but this one I wanted to do a little bit more to the back (again, can’t make it easy). I used the rest of the ombre scraps on the back. The back is completely done from scraps of the front background color and ombre scraps. Again, at first I wasn’t loving it, but then once I cut all the threads and cleaned it up a bit, I like it!
Shared with these Link Parties!