Hello again! We got off schedule a bit, but we’re back on! Today is one of the most creative bloggers I know in making fun things for her kiddos! I love seeing what she come s up with for the kids! She does some awesome superhero and star wars fun on Sew Geeky and I loved her Little Mermaid outfit. It brought back memories from my little Mermaid costume from high school!! I’m so honored to have her back again to celebrate the five year anniversary of the series!!! Welcome Ari, from Max California!
Hey guys! I missed out on Sew Ready To Play last year because of my inability to check emails in a timely fashion but fortunately I was lucky enough to snag a spot this year! Two years ago I brought you the Lego Indiana Jones shirt, and this year I’ve got something a little more low-key but totally up my boy’s alley anyway!
Would you believe I have never once played Operation? I saw it a few times in my friends’ games cupboards etc but I never ever got to play it! Every time I saw it at the shops I always wanted to buy it, but just never got around to it. UNTIL NOW! My biggest fear with this game was that I would get electrocuted! You know how there’s those pranks where you hold a pen or something and it zaps you? Yeh, clearly I’ve been tricked too much in the past so I was a bit worried about a game that was going to electrocute me and the kids… however fortunately I was way off ahha.
Since it’s the new game in the house, I decided to make Vincent an Operation Shirt! It’s pretty basic and straight forward but I’ll give you a little mini tutorial for it anyway!
I used the free shirt pattern by Dana over at Made (size 5/6) because it’s just the right size for Vin Dawg. You can really use any shirt pattern you like (obviously!).
I originally had the pieces cut out of fleece and was handsewing them together so they were kind of a lttle puffy and sturdy, HOWEVER it was just coming out really ugly so halfway through the wishbone I scrapped the idea and started again. Using really thick interfacing, I cut out the heart, wishbone and ‘funny bone’ and attached a little press stud through them. Then I found the places on the shirt where I wanted them to go and attached the other part of the snaps. I’m a little worried because the yellow fabric i chose is super crazy ridiculously stretchy, so there’s not a lot of support there. If i had a do-over I would have used iron-on interfacing on the inside of the shirt where the snaps go. Vin just can’t rip his Operation pieces off his shirt as dramatically as he may have wanted.
Since the pieces are small, you can sew them on before you assemble the shirt or afterward; it really doesn’t make that much difference but I did it before I sewed the shirt together just in case I made a mistake I didn’t want to ruin an entire shirt! I was originally going to have the shirt black because black shirts go with everything in Vincent’s wardrobe, but I found the yellow in my stash and figured it was a little more classic! I think the pieces would look even better if I had stitched them to some black felt a bit larger than the outlines.
The little guy loves his new shirt! And his little sister is incredibly jealous so I guess I’m going to have make an Operation Shirt 2.0!
Sept 7th- Debbie from A Quilter’s Table
Sept 9th- Jennifer from Busy Being Jennifer
Sept 11th- Ari from Max California
Sept 16th- Stacey from Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy Crafts
Sept 18th- Karly from Paisley Roots
Sept 21st- Louise from I’m Feelin’ Crafty
Sept 23rd- Narelle from Cook, Clean, Craft
Sept 25th- Al from Shaffer Sisters
Sept 28th- Rachel from Let’s Begin Sewing
Sept 30th- Marci from Marci Girl Designs