SMQG BOM- 3 months in!

As you might have seen, I’ve been playing along with the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild’s 2015 Block of the Month project! I’m loving it!


This year it’s a medallion quilt with a new border each month. January’s center block can be found here and February’s progress is here. This month yours truly designed the border!


I made a wonky triangle border. Or flip and stitch border. Whatever you want to call it, I love how it turned out. It’s not the easiest border I’ve ever sewn on… The inset seams were a bit of a bugger until I really figured out that it really was inset seams that were needed! I made it a few ways and took it apart until I got the inset seams lightbulb!! I also heard rumor that starch the triangles will help!


Our BOM crew is working together to make this a great quilt. Our friend Yeechi has been setting up the tutorials so they look great! You can get the directions here.

Since I designed this month, mine is obviously done and I am anxiously awaiting next month’s border!!!


  1. Looks great so far. I specialize in medallions, so will watch this with interest.

  2. I really think this border helped my overall design – so thanks for that!

  3. Hi Louise! your block is beautiful! I just sewed my triangles together and my “sides” are too long—Are the measurements correct? (my Medallion + Feb. border was brought up to 21.5′, and my triangles were 4 x 8.25 per Yeechi’s instructions)—it looks to me like that makes the border several inches too long. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Thanks, Laurel

    • The directions are right. It’s the same dimensions I used to make mine work. I think I might know the answer. I asked Debbie since her’s looks perfect! I sew a real 1/4″ seam. She sews a scant 1/4″ seam. When she did that her sides were too long. She fixed it by sewing a full 1/4″ seam. So I’d suggest sewing a full 1/4″ seam and see if it works better!

      • Thanks for the confirmation, I’ll try it again with a full 1/4″ seam allowance. After seeing how far off I was, I studied the pattern and convinced myself that if each of those long sides of the triangle was 8 1/4 inches, and there were THREE of those long sides next to the existing 21.5″ block, then the border would HAVE to be at least 23.5″ finished—but I’m doing some kind of incorrect “quilt math”, I’m sure! Thanks again for your quick responsiveness!

      • Let me know how it goes!My next border will be easier !

  4. This looks so good;)


  1. […] of the month) quilts this year! I’m loving both of them! They are so different, both the medallion quilt and this Technicolor quilt are working from the center […]

Oh, great, you're leaving a comment!! I love reading comments!! Thanks for taking the time to share what's on your mind.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s